Tuesday, January 31, 2017

#14 Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

The small bedroom quickly went from pitch black to a blinding light as the phone on nightstand started to ring. James let out a small hiss of anger as he sprung to his feet and in one long stride he reached the phone, having to restrain himself from throwing the expensive rectangle out the window. He tapped the decline button and sat on the edge of the queen sized bed, careful to not disturb the figure who slept soundly in it. With a sigh he put his head in his palms and mumbled, “Gosh Susan, I thought I taught you that you deserved better than that scum bag.” He was, of course, referring to the caller. What kind of idiot calls his girlfriend at four in the morning, especially when she's got a huge exam in a few hours, he mentally scolded, though he could have shouted the words from the rooftops and Susan would still not listen. It wasn't that she didn't want to, but more like she couldn't even if she tried. No, she was too old now to understand, too old to comprehend James’ existence anymore, too old to remember the dear friend she had created at the age of five to help her cope with all of the changes that were affecting her life.

James knew it would happen ever since he was given to her; after all, the life of an imaginary friend was never meant to be an easy one, he just wished those years wouldn't have gone by so fast. He remembered them all clear as day, helping her ride her bike, making macaroni art, and even playing pirates vs ninjas with her, but they were all just memories. He sighed as he looked to the sleeping girl. “Susan, do you remember Jimmy, the little boy who beat you up?” He laughed a little, “Do you remember how the next day I helped you get even with him and he didn't dare be in the same room as you for a whole year? … No, no of course you don't, but I do…”

He went back to looking at the floor. Why are you even sticking around anymore? He asked himself, You're not meant to stay forever. You've done your job, just move on! He cringed slightly at his own thoughts for they spoke a harsh truth. Heck, Susan was even scared of him at this point. She could see him out of the corner of her eye and in reflections from time to time. He had laughed when her friends tried to convince her that she had a ghost in her home, but sadness had overtaken when he realized she probably thought this the truth over the actual fact of the matter.

James shook himself slightly, trying to pull himself from the past, which was the only place he seemed to find comfort in now a days. He knew it would be hard; after all, most imaginary friends move on through dying, to save a child from one little mistake, like a ball going in the road or climbing a tree, but unfortunately for James, this never happened. He sighed and forced himself to his feet. This little internal debate of his had been at the forefront of his mind for years, but tonight his decision was finally clear. He took off a small necklace and held it fondly as glitter fell off of the little pieces of pasta. He allowed himself to be swallowed up by one last memory, but it didn't hurt this time. He smiled and placed the macaroni necklace on Susan’s nightstand, he couldn't take it where he was going, but she could…

And with that, years of joy and loneliness alike were almost ended as James climbed to the roof of the three story home. He decided to look at the stars as he did it to reassure himself. No matter where he went those would always stay the same. “Heh, maybe the view ‘ll be better there,” he chuckled before taking a step. He still stared at the stars as his body seemed to move in slow motion through the air. “I'm so happy I've had you James,” Susan's small, younger voice peeped up from the back of his head, “Thank you, I'll miss you.” And with a sickening crunch as his body hit the ground he whispered out, “And I you.”

James sat up in a daze. Nothing on him hurt, it wasn't meant to for his kind. Death was just a gateway to new opportunity. He cautiously stood up, taking in the wooded forest that now engulfed him. He smiled at the sounds of birds singing and water trickling from a nearby stream, but another sound soon caught his attention. He followed the soft muffled sounds of sobs until he reached a small crying boy who was far too young to be out in the woods alone. James knelt down beside him and smiled reassuringly. “Hello there,” he said quietly as to not scare the boy, “My name is James, what's yours?”



39 comments:

  1. Awe. Everyone in my class just said "Aweeee." That was a good story, and a good plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really good story, and I liked the part when she decides she doesn't need him anymore because she is strong enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good story I lite the whole imagination part and how they are actually there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy this story, it is so good

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great story I remember my imaginary friend I lost him to a passing car just a year ago?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story was so touching. I love reading it from the perspective of the imaginary friend. The little details add so much, like that glitter macaroni necklace...they must make these in every elementary class in America because I remember making one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very good and interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the plot and the point of view it was from. I love the opening line I can relate that to my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea to go from an imaginary friend's POV

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting perspective and touching

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the hints iluding to just how much our imaginary friends care, and how they save us when we're young, and how they constantly try to reach out to us really made an impact on how the story is told. It was sad, yet oddly happy to read this from the imaginary friend's point of view, and I'm really impressed by this work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story. Nice to have a reminder of the old imaginary friends we all used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool story and characters

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great story. I enjoyed it! I love the imaginary friend part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very well written story! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love me some Pinterest ideas😉I find this to relateable because we all have imaginary friends when we are little and it also reminds me of how we have to make new friends as we grow up. One of my favorite stories so far

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you used the perspective of the imaginary friend

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very good and interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was a very creative story

    ReplyDelete
  20. Liked how it was from Imaginary Friends POV. Great Read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We can all relate to having an imaginary friend. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an extremely creative story, very original.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked how they used the imaginary friends point of view

    ReplyDelete
  24. I liked the way the story was narrated

    ReplyDelete
  25. This story is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very sweet story. I love how he moved on to a new kid to help him out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cool story and I like how they used the perspective from the imaginary friend

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very well written!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was by far one of my favorite stories. It made me feel the full range of emotions, it was heartbreaking yet full of love and hope. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the imaginary friend idea, really good story.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the imaginary friend idea, it was original

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very nice friend I want to meet him

    ReplyDelete
  33. was very good and didn't expect the imaginary friend. Very good story

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how the imaginary friend transitions to another boy when he knows he has done his job.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I enjoyed the imagination in this

    ReplyDelete
  36. Imaginary friends are the best

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, this story was pure imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wish I had an imaginary friend because I don't think the real ones like me.

    ReplyDelete