Friday, January 27, 2017

#6 It Was Just a Dream

It Was Just a Dream
I didn’t believe in myself to start off. It seemed like my lifelong dream was being interrupted by a different one. I had always been a decent athlete at football, basketball and baseball. But I don’t know if I will ever be as good at basketball as I am at football. I started my Varsity football team as a Freshman and couldn’t even make the Varsity roster for basketball my sophomore year. But what my hometown doesn’t understand is that I love the game of basketball. What do I do?
Here I am, A 5’10 Sophomore from Emsley A. Laney High School in Wilmington, North Carolina. My name is Michael, Michael Jordan. I have four siblings and I am the youngest boy and second youngest child in all. I am quite possibly the best athlete in my family but don’t tell my brothers that. I’ve never been the smartest kid, but I am always the athlete one in my class. That is until my sophomore year when my best friend, Leroy, made the Varsity Basketball team and I did not. Now I did have two phenomenal years as the starting Quarterback for our football team, but I dream was to play professional basketball. The only problem was, my self confidence has officially gone to the bottom now that my own bestfriend is on a basketball team that I did not make. Maybe I should start leading more towards football or baseball, I just do not know what to do…
As my High School years went on, I continued to progress in all three of my sports and it came down to what sport I wanted to play in college. Leroy and I had both led not only the football team, but the basketball and baseball teams to State Championships.
But now I had to make quite possibly the hardest decision of my life. Where do i go to College, but more importantly, what for? Do I go for basketball or football. Leroy was going to Louisville for baseball, but I knew I didn’t want to play College Baseball. I eventually brought it down to two options. UCLA wanted me to play Basketball for them while North Carolina wanted be to be their first two sport athlete and play basketball and football for them.
I had to go with my gut, “I am officially announcing that I will be attending the University of North Carolina but…only to play football.”
Everyone was in complete shock, but my family and friends supported my decision and off to college I went. Now I knew my father would force me to stay in college all four years no matter my NFL Draft stock, leaving was not an option. My Freshman and Sophomore years seemed like a blur for I did not get much playing time because we had five quarterbacks on our roster and Rod Elkins, a white guy that was a year older than me with incredible accuracy, was the for sure starter both years. But the first day of training my Junior Year, Rod got a call from Auburn to play Quarterback alongside the best Running back in the nation, Bo Jackson. That gave me the keys to the starting job and through the next two years I rushed and ran for a combined 8,574 yard and had a total of 87 touchdowns. We however were not a good team defensively those two years and I unfortunately could only take us so far by myself. But I was rank to go fairly decent in the draft and I was just hoping to get picked by the Chicago Bears.
Draft Night came but I was not called after the second round was over. I sat there and waited patiently with my family until the 78th pick by the Atlanta Falcons was up and I got a phone call from a man but not the coach of the Atlanta Falcons. “Hello is this Michael Jordan?”
“Why yes it is sure!” I said.
“Well this is Mike Ditka, the coach of the Chicago Bears, we’ve traded Jim McMahon to the Atlanta Falcons to get you. We think you are the missing piece to this Super Bowl caliber of a team. Congratulations on becoming a Bear.”
“Wow thank you sir!” I went on, “It means so much coming from you.”
My Rookie year was phenomenal, I won Rookie of the Year and The 85’ Bears were on their way to the Super Bowl. We had a solid 15-1 record only losing to Dan Marino and the dreadful Miami Dolphins on a Monday NIght game.
Everything was going so right until I woke up...
“And with the third pick in the 1984 NBA Draft, The Chicago Bulls select Michael Jordan, The 6’6” Guard out of North Carolina.”

36 comments:

  1. Good story! I wasn't expecting the ending, how it was all a dream. It relates to anybody in sports wanting to do good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story was set up very nicely and had a great cliff hanger ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you show the struggle of a multi-sport athlete who has to choose between two (or three) sports. We may not have the opportunity to choose the one we love the most because of greater competition and opportunities; yet, it could work out to be a better situation in the end. I remember when Michael Jordan played professional baseball and had heard that baseball was his favorite sport. But I think things ended up working out pretty well for him, too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story and very well ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sports part of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see real life people in the story and how they all played around the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The plot was executed very well. As you went through his dream life everything made sense. And the twist of the dream in the end really gave it that umph - that drive I should say - to make this story top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the ending a lot. Great story overall

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very great Sports story to show the true meaning to be an multi-sport athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked how the ending was different with the basketball, it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The plot was very well thought out

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is very relatable for a lot of high school athletes, trying to decide where they want to go and for what sport

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked the sports and characters

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked how the ending of the story was a cliffhanger. This was a great story overall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked how this story shows how hard it can be to choose your path in life, and even when you do choose, things may not turn out how you truly wanted them to be

    ReplyDelete
  16. The change from the different sports was good, I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this because I could relate. Most of us don't really know what to do when it comes down to choosing between certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the dramatic twist at the ending. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked how the kid continued to stick with the sport he liked more and didn't give up on it because he didn't make varsity his freshman year or sophomore and he had to work for it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked how it was a dream all in the end and changed the sports.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The ending was great and good to see people from the real world in it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great story overall with the cliff hanger and all that jazz

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your story because I can relate from being a multi sport athlete and it's very tough.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like how he doesn't let anyone ruin his dreams of playing basketball

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great story, hard work pays off

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved the story, it was perfect. Glad he got drafted into the NBA.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice story I like the sports plot and it is just a good story because it shows you that one desision in your life can change anything. Great story and punctuation. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Legendary story for a legendary player

    ReplyDelete
  29. Its good they he sticked to the game. The story was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love how he persists on his dreams and the twist at the end is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the well thought out ending.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Shows hard work pays off

    ReplyDelete
  33. Don't we all dream of becoming a star athlete? The only difference is Michael actually became an athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like how he got the best of both worlds, even if one was only a dream.

    ReplyDelete