Wednesday, February 1, 2017

#17 The Struggles of a Cyber Athlete

February 10th, 2017, 5:00 A.M, Rockford, Illinois. A lot of people call me crazy by doing this, but those people don't understand. My name is Ross Robert. I’'m 18 years old and I'’m a competitive Super Smash Bros player for Unrivaled Tournaments. I go by the tag “L” in the Smash community.
Right now I’'m driving to Chicago for my first event of 2017. So after a suprizingly short two hour drive to the venue, I walk into the college gym where the tournament was being held, with my jacket, and a backpack with my phone, charger, cables, GameCube controller, 3DS, and wallet. “
"Round 1 Pools will be starting in 1 hour, please register now.”"
I went to the registration desk told them my name and what pool I was in, I was able to skip round 1 due to my ranking. Well, while you're here, I might be able to tell you what this game is first. Super Smash Bros is a fighting game with characters from games like Mario, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, etc. The goal--unlike most fighting games--isn'’t to deplete a life bar, it is to knock your opponent off the stage twice before your opponent. Each hit you put in your percent gets higher, the higher your percent, the faster you get launched. There are a lot more intricacies in the mechanics and strategies that can have your opponent not get back on stage.
"“Round 1 pools have begun please report to your pool”," says the TO (tournament organizer). I went, even though I skipped round 1. I was analyzing the play of my first opponent; it was mostly kinda obvious who was going to win due to the character matchup. The first guy I faced in pools was a bit difficult, but other than him, pools were easy. Now comes the hard part: actual bracket matches.
I start up the bracket against Zinoto, a Michigan Diddy Kong player, who is currently ranked number 2 in the midwest. I play Bayonet, due to the nature of Diddy Kong's defensive playstyle. I always have a difficult time with this character; as you can guess, I got 3-0d in a best of 5 set. I had to make the losers run of the century. If I win this tournament, right after that, I had to face JJRockets--another Diddy Kong player, this time from Chicago.
We start out game one on Battlefield, a stage with three platforms two parallel from each other and one above and between the other two. I start applying offensive pressure on him and manage to take the first stock, and then punish him for using risky attacks and secure the second stock. Game 2 was the same; games three and four I got bodied, like so horrifically bodied I can hardly recall what happened.
Then Game 5... This game was a repeated sloberknocker of blows and plays of who managed to win and then I looked at the timer. (A timer is used in game so tournaments are not held back by overly defensive players.) I was playing so well, both of us were unable to secure a stock. JJ had the damage lead, so I lost the set.

Salt sucks, not like table salt, post-loss salt. I was just watching the tournament pass by and see JJ destroy his bracket. Then he went against Zinoto in Top 16 in the ditto, which is a match where both players play the same character. They’re close games, but Zinoto made it out on top. By then, the salt had cleared out and he sat down next to me and said, “Hey, good games.”
“Thanks," I said.
“Do you want to play some games?” he asked.
“Sure,” I said.
So we practiced until the tournament ended, and then we became friends after that.


40 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this story it sounds so realistic

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story had a lot of detail and I like how it explained the terms you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross Roberts, what a character brilliant my man, brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Story with lots of detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good story, if I played that's game, in would have been able to see what was going on, because if all the detail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate how detailed the descriptions were. It was obvious the writer knew what they were talking about, and it's exciting to see someone so pationate about what they love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good story. I liked how the two opponents became friends in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked how it was so much like the original game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice details and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stories about making new friends are the best! I'm so inspired to go out and play video games now, just so I can make real friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting story, learned some new things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kept me interested and nice written story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story was very interesting and you can tell how much knowledge the author has over this topic and that they are passionate about it

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad they became friends. great story

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked that those two at the end became pretty good friend. It's always fun to have a friendly competition.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked how much detail you used, could picture what was happening

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked how you explained what Super Smash Bros was.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked how they became friends in the end and nice detail you kept it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice use of details, I was really able to understand everything that was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great story, liked how you became friends, proving that winning isn't everything.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I liked all the details and how in the end they became good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. good story, I like how they became friends at the end

    ReplyDelete
  24. the story kept me interested and had lots of good detail

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great story, brings back memories of me playing smash back in the days...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excellent story, loved how they become friends in the end

    ReplyDelete
  27. It was good there was a lot of good details to help understand what was going on

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a storie great ending

    ReplyDelete
  29. Though I know nothing about the competitive gaming world, I could feel the excitement of the tournament. I also like your inventive vocabulary, like "slobberknocker" and "post-loss salt." 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good story and a good lesson to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The story was great! I loved the details plot!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad you two became friends

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey...that's pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, really realistic and good!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I could feel the excitement good story

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the realism in the story

    ReplyDelete
  37. The detail is so good it's almost like this actually happened

    ReplyDelete