Wednesday, February 1, 2017

#18 Thoughts of An Insomniac

I look over at the clock, it’s already 3:47 in the morning. Every night is the same. I lay here in my bed, hour after hour, look out the window at that tree, and think of you. It’s been almost a year since you left, but it still hurts like that first day. You weren’t supposed to leave, you had so many goals for your life, and we were going to get married and spend our forevers together.
It’s pretty ironic how things eventually turn out. I used to be the dreamer. I had a spark in my eyes, I had goals and ambitions, and I was going to do so many things. Now that you’re gone, I’m an insomniac, I can’t sleep, and when I do, it’s restless and there’s no dreams. I can’t even act like a normal human being anymore, I have a panic attack every time I walk outside and see the tree. I can’t imagine my future anymore, you were my future, you were my dreams, you were my everything.
Life with you felt like a dream. Why you decided to go, will forever be a mystery to me. You never showed any signs, you never hinted at it, but one day, you were just gone.
Why did you decide to leave us? You were, and still are, so loved. You were everything a girl could want in a man. The only time I ever felt at home was when I was with you, I felt safe and secure, like nothing could ever happen to me and that I would always be that happy. You made me realize that home didn’t have to be a house, that anywhere could be home, as long as we were together. When you left, you took all of that away. You left me here, alone and broken. We were supposed to graduate medical school together, but I couldn’t do it on my own anymore, we were a team, so I dropped out. My teachers encouraged me not to, but I couldn’t keep going there without you.
Somehow, I’ve gone numb. I ache to feel something, anything at all. I want to feel your fingers intertwined with mine, I want to feel your hair as I run my hands through it, I want to feel your hand on my back and for you to give me a backrub like you always would when I got sad. I just want you here again so I could tell you how in love I am with you, that you’re incredibly handsome, so charming and sweet, how your smile could light up any room and that it lit up my world, how funny you are, how it amazed me and so many others how intelligent you are.
As I lay here, I remember every moment spent with you and how I took that time for granted. I never realized how little time I had with you. I never would have argued with you over anything, because every moment that I spent mad at you was just wasted time that I will never get back. I would have listened to you more, and talked less, because it’s pretty obvious now that you needed someone to listen, and it breaks my heart knowing I didn’t do that.
I don’t think I’ll ever get that picture out of my mind. Walking out into our backyard, and seeing something hanging from the tree, and swaying from side to side. I didn’t register it at first, and when I realized what it was, I didn’t even think it could possibly be you. It makes me shake, just thinking of your lifeless body and your dead, cold eyes staring down at me. That’s not something you can easily forget. I see those eyes everywhere, when I lay here at night, sometimes I’ll see you, but not how you normally were, but cold and lifeless.
I lay here, think of you, and I cry out. I cry out to whoever will listen. I cry out to a God that I hope is listening. I cry out and hope that you can hear me, wherever you are. I cry out in hope that God will answer, and provide some relief, and that you will hear me and realize that I loved you more than I’ve ever loved myself or anyone else. I cry and cry and I scream, wishing someone, anyone at all would hear me and answer.


44 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how she described the things she missed

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way this story was written was beautiful. The part I liked the most is when she talks about how much she truly loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how this story goes through a persons thought process and gets in depth with the feelings of someone who dealt with an awful loss

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful story! Nice story plot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story it really explains the struggles someone who is coping with a loss and regret.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very sad but amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This story was so good! Definitely one of my favorites. I loved the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good story! Very sad also! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was a very deep story, and I loved it. It was very raw to read this from the perspective of someone who had lost their love, it really shows how someone truly never deals with loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very romantic in the beginning until you know what, then it was sad. Overall a very well written story

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written and nice details. Good story

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great story, but sad at the same time. It is also well written. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how in the story she says that she wasn't there for him when he needed someone talk to, and at the end she needs someone to listen to her

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sad but so much good detail

    ReplyDelete
  17. This story was very sad and you can tell that the author had lots of emotion while writing this and that they have experienced some sort of tragedy that caused them a lot of pain

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is a beautiful story. very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great detail and great symbolism for what that tree stood for

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sad but still a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The descriptive words and phrases that you used in the second to last paragraph were great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a really good job describing everything. It was a very sad but well written story

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very good and detailed story also very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very sad story, but very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very sad but you did a great job at expressing your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The way the story was written was great how you didn't just go out and say it, but left hints.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great detailed story with amazing detail! Very good story.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was a very soothing yet soppy story all in one, greatly written.

    ReplyDelete
  29. very sad story but still really good

    ReplyDelete
  30. It was a sad story ☹️

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is by far my absolute favorite story. So many feelings and intricate details. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I could feel the agony and sorrow the author felt. I like how the reader doesn't know what happened to the narrator's fiancé until the end. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sad story but had good details. Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sad story but I loved the details!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very sad story, but the sadness was depicted perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  36. This story is excellent in is pacing and dialogue, props to you for making a dark story I like

    ReplyDelete
  37. That's so sad,but it was spoken greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great story kinda sad

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was a good but sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very sad story. I loved the detail though

    ReplyDelete
  41. "An insomniac? I've got pills for that."
    No but seriously this was a well written story.

    ReplyDelete