Tuesday, February 7, 2017

#32 The Meaning

The Meaning
“There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.” Tommy Lasorda.
I remember the day like it was yesterday. November 2, 2016 was the greatest day in history. Most of you have no clue what I’m talking about, so let me start from the beginning. The day started out normal for most people, but to me, Trick Jacobs, it was moment of truth day. I’m the starting shortstop for the Illinois Bullets and today was the state championship. As soon as I woke up that day I called my coach to see how his day was. Coach Henry has been my coach the past three years and this is his first time going to a championship. He was an old fart but he sure was a fantastic coach. He taught us not just how to win but the meaning of baseball. This was his last year coaching also, it was my last year playing for the Bullets. After High School I would be traveling to University of Illinois to play baseball.
Later that day, as we were sitting in the dugout and Coach Henry was giving us our pre warm up speech like he does every game. I was sitting in the corner visualizing the trophy we were bringing home for Coach Henry. I wasn’t worried about anything else. I didn’t care about how my performance turned out to be even though the University of Illinois scout was in the crowd but that really didn’t matter. In my eyes what really mattered was the big fat grin that we were gonna put on our coaches face. As the time rolled on coach finally walks up to me and says, “I want you to go out there and give it your all, you have some important people out there.” That didn’t make me feel better what's so ever. This game wasn’t about me, it was about Coach Henry.
As soon as I blink it’s bottom of the ninth, two outs, and I step up to the plate. The score is tied and I have been hitting the seams off this ball. As soon as I get up they do a pitching change. They start throwing their lefty Denzel Valentine. I’ve been struggling to hit him the past four years but I’ve been studying him. His release point, the way his fingers are gripped on the ball, and how fast he brings up his leg. I know they won’t walk me because the bases are loaded. My hands are sweating and my mouth is dry as the Sahara Desert. I step up to the plate. I spit my seeds out and kick some dirt on the plate. I see his fingers start to move in his glove. Everyone is staring down at me from the stands. The first pitch comes.

Now you're all thinking you can’t stop there, well actually I can because I’m the author of this story. The moral of this story wasn’t about winning or losing. It was about about not being selfish and being a team leader. It was about doing what’s right. A wise man once said, “The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person’s determination.” Now all I can say for Denzel Valentine is first rule in baseball never hang a curveball to a power hitter.         

41 comments:

  1. Great story, I liked the quote at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story. Go baseball! Great moral though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ending, I like the moral of the story

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a really original idea I love it!n

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice plot to the story

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good moral and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good story liked the ending and the moral of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great moral of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate the level of sass in the story, and the fact that the main character "Trick" wanted to win for more than just himself really made the story unique. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ending. Nice story

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story and a good lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great moral to the story. I like it. Good story overall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite an inspirational moral for the sports people👌🏼

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a great way to end the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great moral, I'm glad you told us what happened

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the hook of this story. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked how the author talked to the reader

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great story, my favorite part was the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked the quote at the beginning and how the story ends.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked the narrator, and the style of writing. You can tell that Trick has a huge heart because he isn't doing this just for himself, he is doing it for his coach and he just wants to make this a memorable experience for him

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great moral, I love the ending of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the hook, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The moral of the story is really good

    ReplyDelete
  24. The ending was funny

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked the moral of this story, and I liked the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great story and I like how you ended it

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like your story the ending was really good

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very good moral to the story

    ReplyDelete
  29. I liked how you did the last paragraph, and how you let us know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great moral to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great story, nice way to end the story

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great read, excellent ending also

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that the day they win State is the same day the Cubs won the World Series. I saw what you did there. :) Also like the ending...Trick is pretty tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great story good moral

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for pointing out what the moral of the story was, I never would have found it myself.

    ReplyDelete