Wednesday, February 1, 2017

#19 Trevor's Smile

Trevor's Smile
(January 12, 2017)
Heading west, as the sun sets in front of me, driving my white Mazda CX9 up a gravel, country road, with no signs of life anywhere, I start to have flashbacks. The long, winding road I was traveling made me reminisce. Before I knew it, I was veering off the road. I had to stop. I pulled to the side and stared blankly at the wheel, wondering, why? Why him? I remember that night clearly, yet it was such a blur. The cool spring night. The night my life changed forever. The night I lost my best friend.


(March 3rd, 2016)
It was morning, chilly outside, the birds were chirping. And Aspen, my boyfriend at the time, messaged me to see what I was doing that day. I said nothing and he replied with now ya do. So I got ready and he picked me up in his old brown rusty truck. We and met up with all our friends, and we all went to B-dubs in Sterling. Aspen's friend Jarrett ordered one of the hottest wings; he started crying. After B-dubs, we decided to all meet up at Jarrett's, and when we got there we thought of the “greatest” idea… we were gonna play car tag. I went with Aspen and Trevor. Trevor was driving and I was in the back seat. Then everyone else piled into cars and we decided on a few roads.
The game began. We were on a long, windy dirt road with the headlights off, driving slowly, trying to find the other cars. And we thought we found one; Trevor flicked on his lights and raced up the hill toward the other car. He was going too fast, but no one said anything. We started drifting, then the car hit a grass hill so hard. We were airborne, no screams, it was silent. Everything was in slow motion; I remember closing my eyes and putting my head down waiting for the impact. Then, we struck the pole, still no sound, I slowly started making myself pass out, I was ready, I thought, this is the day I die, and I was accepting it.
Then it happened, we hit the ground, but we kept flipping, we landed upside down; my first thought was I have to get out. I climbed over Aspen, I got out, and was trying to get everyone else out, but I was in shock; I couldn't move.
Did that just happen? I say to myself over and over again. Then the ambulance showed up. I guess the guy living in the house on top of the hill was out smoking and saw everything happen. They got everyone out of the car; Aspen was unconscious. He had a really bad gash in the back of his head, and he probably would have some memory loss, the doctors say to me, as he got flown to Rockford. But Trevor, no one would tell me where he was or what happened to him, 'til finally the paramedic came to me and said that he didn't make it. He died as soon as we hit the pole. It was weird; for some reason, I didn't cry, just thought Nah, he's fine, he can't be gone, right? But he was; this was real.
Sunday morning they had a get together at the school where we could write notes on paper and bring pictures and stick it to his locker. I only went for a little bit though; everywhere I turned, someone would ask me what happened and make me feel guilty because the worst thing I had was scratches. Then after that, everyone headed up to the crash sight and laid stuff by the cross his father put there. It was unbearable going to the sight. Seeing how bad it was, knowing I was in it, and that my best friend died. That night, there was a candlelight at the sight where his family and friends went and told stories about him.
Then Monday, everyone had been dreading this day since the crash. It was the funeral. It was at 2. Trevor's mom didn't want anyone to wear black, she knew he hated that color. We were to wear sweatpants and t shirts. So me and my sister arrived at the funeral home and there was a line outside the door. He was loved by so many; it took about an hour before I got up there, then I saw him. When I got up there and looked at him he had a smile. It was kind of a half smile. The one everyone loved; it's what he was known for. Something about that smile on his face made me feel at peace with everything. It made me feel okay again. Just like it used to.

38 comments:

  1. This was very touching story. The way you talked about how he was thinking that he was like this isn't really happening it was so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you talked about your thoughts and feelings the way you did

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a sad story although the ending gave a sense of peice at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story took me somewhere else. I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the way that you explained everything in your story. I was a very sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very touching story. Great story overall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the ending

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good story. That'd be an awful experience

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was very realistic and very well written. Most people have a hard time believing someone's gone until the closure of seeing them hits. The mention of going into shock adds another layer of realism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a sad and touching story. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sad story but very well written with detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This story was very well written, it was one of my favorites. The loss of a loved one can be extremely difficult, and it can be very hard to come to terms with until reality kind of hits you in the face. This was very realistic and the last paragraph made me tear up when I first read it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really well written and what a way to get into people's emotions

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how the entire school got together to put things in memory of him on his locker. That shows good togetherness as a school.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was a very sad story, I couldn't imagine losing my best friend

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really good, it was sad, but I like how he ended up with a smile

    ReplyDelete
  18. This story had good emotion in it. I liked how his mom didn't want anyone to wear black.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great story, very sad and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This story is really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sad and very touching story. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I liked how his mom told everyone not to wear black because he hated it. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  23. great story and very well written

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was a good story it sucks to lose a friend in a car accident it had good details

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a very touching story. I loved how she remained to be calm even after a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like how the narrator is driving on the windy road and it reminds her of that night, so she has to pull over. The story is well written and heart-felt.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very well written and very sad

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good story but very sad. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sad and touching story! I liked the details!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great story, but it would be terrible to lose someone in an accident like that

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very touching! Amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the way this story was told. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Upsetting good story

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very touching story

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mabye they should actually look at the road. But this was good story, quite sad though.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This was a well written story and so sad

    ReplyDelete