Monday, February 6, 2017

#29 Rose


Rose
Today was the big day. It was our first basketball game. I didn’t play basketball, but i still went to the spirit games. I usually found some friends to go with, but today all of my friends were busy. I just decided to go anyways because i figured I’d find someone to sit with. As 6:30 rolled around i had gotten dressed and made my way to the high school. It was much more crowded than usual, but i couldn’t find anyone to sit with so i just kind of lingered by the door. After a while i decided to go outside and get some fresh air.

When i went outside i noticed a figure out by the end of the building. I didn’t think much of it at first. I looked closer and saw that the figure was shaking uncontrollably. I was concerned. I slowly made my way down the sidewalk. The closer i got the more clear the figure got. It was a little girl, no coat, and no shoes. I squatted down in front of her. Her skin looked so pale. I reached my hand out to grab hers. She flinched before i even touched her. “It’s okay”, i assured her. “What’s your name”,I asked. Her voice squeaked,”Rose”. I was concerned. “Where are your parents?”, I exclaimed. She just looked away and shrugged her shoulders. I could see the disapointment on her face. As she turned her head, i noticed a yellowish brown mark on her face. I reached out and
 rubbed my thumb on her cheek. “I won’t hurt you i promise” I told her. The look on her face told me she had been told the same line multiple times.

After a few minutes of sitting with her there was a loud noise. A door on the side of the building was slammed shut. A man was walking our way. Rose stood up and started slowly backing up. Immediately i knew what had happened. The man began to walk faster. I grabbed Rose and ran as fast as i could. “ROSE!!... YOU GET BACK HERE!”, The man exclaimed. I held the back of Rose’s head as she clung to my button up. “ I promise, everything will be okay.”, i whispered to her. I felt her brittle hands grip harder. I knew then that she trusted me.

As soon as i lost the man we continued to walk back to my house. My mom was confused when i walked in and set her down at the kitchen table. I handed Rose some juice, and walked to the phone. I walked around the corner and waited for the call to go through. “Hello this is the police department”, the operator said. “Uh... I.. uh...” “yes sir?” the operator said again. “ I have a girl... I... I.. mean I saved a girl.. Well i think.”i stuttered. The conversation continued and the operator explained to me that they could not take her into the police department tonight. I agreed to take care of Rose for the night. When i walked back into the kitchen my mom had already made a little ice pack for her. It’s as if she already knew what happened because she stood back and smiled at me. My mom asked Rose if she was hungry. Rose looked around and she grinned but quickly straightened out her face. My mom knew she wanted something so she made her mac’n’cheese.

 After dinner I went to the attic. I knew somewhere there was a box of my sisters o ld dolls. After searching for a few minutes i found a box marked  “lucy’s toys.” I
picked it up and blew a cloud of dust off of it. After the dust cleared I carefully pulled a little doll off of the top of the box. On the bottom of the doll’s foot was a carefully stitched name “Lucy”. I felt a smile come across my face and went back downstairs. I went into the kitchen where Rose was sitting at the table. Her face was glum. I sat by her and asked “Do you like dolls?” She shrugged her shoulders,”Daddy never let me have one.” I felt my heart sink into my stomach, but I quickly smiled. “I have a gift for you.” I handed Rose the doll and the excitement on her face was the happiness i had always dreamed of. She threw herself across the table and into my arms. I had never seen a child so happy. We played for the rest of the night until she fell asleep. I carefully placed her on the couch and covered her up with a blanket. I looked at her peacefully asleep. I kissed her forehead and turned out the lights.

At 8am the next day there was a knock at the front door. It was a police officer. I woke Rose and told her it was time to go. I rode in the car with her to the police station. When we got there a woman was pacing back and forth. As soon as we walked through the doors Rose let my hand go and ran to the woman. I smiled because i knew that she was in safe hands now. The woman began to cry. She walked my way and threw her arms around me. “Thank you...” she whispered. As Rose and her mother began to walk away i called out, “WAIT!” Rose turned around. I squatted down once more and pulled a doll out of my pocket. Rose gasped and grabbed the doll. She squeased it tightly. I
 reached my arm out and rubbed my thumb on her cheek one last time. That was the last time I saw Rose.


45 comments:

  1. I like how Rose is now safe with her mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story I like how he took care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sweet how she took care of the the little girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a pretty interesting story, I liked how they were able to help Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, that was a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you are telling me if I get kidnapped you will make me mac and cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I kidnapped you, I would take you right back home because you're so annoying.

      Delete
  7. Nice fishing story

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good story. I liked how she ended up with her mom again. I loved how she desided to help her some people would of just walked away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how Rose was able to be taken care of and ended back with her mom again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see how she ended up back with her mom. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting how the narrator added the sense of realism with how the main character never saw Rose again. That just shows how influential people can be in life, and it's very noble of the main character to help Rose out. It's nice that she was reunited with her mom, and knowing that she's safe really makes the story a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this story. Great ending. Glad Rose is safe again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this story! The ending is great. I'm glad Rose is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a loving story

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how Rose finds her mom at the end, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving story. Loved how she ended up with her mom in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was sweet. I'm glad she got back with her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like how the girl ended up safe with her mom, and as much as it made me sad, I did like how realistic it was with the fact that they never saw Rose again

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the ending his rose is safe now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great plot throughout and I liked that she got back with her mother

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Ending! I am happy that she got back with her mom!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad she got back to her mom. Very realistic story

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good story, glad rose is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked how she ended up with her mom all in all it was a really good story

    ReplyDelete
  26. I liked that the main character helped her and noticed her and brought her home.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good story, my favorite part was rose being saved.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great story, glad she is with her mom now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good story I like how it seemed real

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the name Rose

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish we knew more about Lucy and why the narrator's sister's things were up in the attic, dusty. Was she much older than him? Or had she passed away? Very interesting, though I feel like there's a deeper story there.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good story lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  34. I enjoyed this story a lot

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad she's safe with her mommy

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so glad Rose is safe

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great story loved the main character

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good good good good good ending.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Heartbreaker, in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a sad but cute story!

    ReplyDelete