Thursday, February 2, 2017

#22 The Name of the Game

The Name of The Game
Waking up and knowing it’s game day, life doesn’t get much better than that. ‘Cause everyone knows game days are way better than practice. Putting your jersey on, playing for the name on the front and soon people will start to remember the name on the back. Now I’m a typical girl that has to have her hair braided, so it doesn’t look like a hot mess. But you also can’t forget my bow!
While I was stuffing my face with my chocolate muffin, my dad pulls into the parking lot of the ball diamond. My eyes blew up like two fifty-cent quarters. It was the first day of nationals and I couldn’t be more excited. Everything was a mixture of Disney and sports, it was heaven. My team and I were playing at the ESPN SportsCenter down in Orlando, Florida. I opened the car door feeling the southern heat warming my body my excitement escalated. Once everyone on my team and I were all gathered together we made our way towards the stadium. Walking into the stadium gave me chills. When you first walk in there’s an enormous globe made of steel. This stadium included every sport you could imagine. It included soccer, basketball, lacrosse, softball and so much more. There were also TV’s streaming players from all over the park.
My team and I played soon and the adrenaline was going all over. Not only is being in Florida exciting but we have had an exciting season full of memories and of course winning. We had to win the next one more game to make it into the championship out of 70 teams. Our coach informed us by saying “We all know it’s been a long week so far but it all comes down to how much heart and desire do you have left to push yourself to make it to the championship.”
I was starting center field with Brooke in left field and Emma in right. The crowd was huge, and both teams competing now have been undefeated until the timer goes off in an only an hour and thirty minutes. The game went by fast as some would say but in the 7th inning we were tied 2-2. My team were visitors so we didn't get to bat last. All we needed was one more out. My nerves started to kick in, my hands shaking just waiting to see where the ball would be hit next.
Soon the ball went flying high in the air in between center and right. I could hear my friend Emma screaming, “Liz you go, you go!” I knew it was gonna be close and I may fall short. Right before the ball hit the ground I threw my body into the air extending as far as I could reach to try and catch it but I fell to short. The gilt in my stomach started to cling and I couldn't resist knowing we had lost the game.

You will win some games and you will lose some. You have to learn from them no matter how good or bad the turnout is. Not everything is your fault. You win as a team and lose as a team.

41 comments:

  1. Great moral, team work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the team work

    ReplyDelete
  3. It had a great ending and really has a great moral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the fact that they lost they were too cocky

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was good I just wish they could have won but, shhh, it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice moral to the story win and lose as a team

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked how the theme of playing as a team really came through. Even though they lost, there's no blame put on an individual because one single play isn't the cause for a loss. Great lesson and love the build-up to the end! ⚾️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good lesson to teach that you don't always win.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great moral to the story! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story. Good moral about working as a team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the protagonist realized winning isn't everything. She was learning just as we were. And great use of details, especially for someone like me who doesn't sport.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the moral of the story! You don't always win.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the teamwork. Every team needs to know that you can't always win. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the moral of the story

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great story and it had a great moral about working as a team

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the moral of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Story but .. I would have caught it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great story, even though she didn't catch it, she just needed a bigger glove,

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the moral about teamwork.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The story had a good moral behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good lesson to teach that you don't always win.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good story, and good lesson to be learned from it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This story was very well written and I could picture the setting very well in my mind. I love the line "Putting your jersey on, playing for the name on the front and soon people will start to remember the name on the back." Because the whole story demonstrates how important team work is, and that line was a great way to show that in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Teaches a good mentality when it comes to a loss

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good story I liked the lesson behind the story

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great moral and good details

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good moral of the story and great lesson behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Finally a story bout a real sport!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Has a great lesson

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great story and great moral behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great moral but sad that they didn't win

    ReplyDelete
  32. This had a really good moral but it sucks they couldn't win. I'm glad no one put the blame on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good moral to the story

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like the meaning of this story

    ReplyDelete
  35. Not winning is literally my entire life. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. When will there be a sports story where everything actually goes right?

    ReplyDelete