Thursday, February 2, 2017

#24 Homecoming Week

Homecoming Week
Finally, homecoming week is upon us. It’s my junior year and now that last year’s seniors are gone we are set on winning homecoming week. Last year we got second, the seniors winning, like always. I’m tired of the seniors always winning even when we do better than them. Last year they only won because of their float, which I admit, was pretty good. Even though their float was good and they deserved to win even when underclassmen should have won they never do, and I want to change that this year.
“Hey Kate, are you ready for the first game of the week?” Abby asked.
“Of course I am, but the real person you should be asking is Harry. This is the first game of hoco week and we can’t afford to lose it,” I said.
“Oh and guys, by the way, we have last minute morning practices for battle of the bands monday, tuesday, and thursday,” Josy said.
“Good idea, we should let the guys now,” I said.
All the students made their way to their set of bleachers, starting with freshman nearest to the door. As Abby, Josy, and I got to our section we called the Battle of the Bands boys over to tell them about the practices. We all sat down waiting for Mr. Borm to come infront of all the classes to do our class yell. The freshman went first and they completely failed, then the sophomores, and when it came to us we all screamed as loud as we could, so far we were the best. Finally, it came to the seniors and they were close to us but I think we still won.
They called the person who was in the food eating contest from each grade to the middle of the gym. Naturally, we all followed that way we could watch. As we all gathered around to watch them go to town on the lemons they had to eat, we were so excited because we knew we had this first game in the bag. When I was cheering for Harry I looked over at Dan, the seniors contestant,  and I watched him shove one of the lemons off the table and into the garbage. Surprise surprise, seniors are cheating, again.
Finally, the moment of truth. As Mr. Borm counts up how many lemons each class has left, we are all waiting in anticipation. Mr. Borm walks over to the classes.
“Juniors! Juniors are the winners!” Mr. Borm yells.
I look around to see the whole junior class erupt into applause and screams. Then I look over at the seniors and they were so mad. Oh well, they are just mad because they cheated and still lost.
The next few days went by and the seniors and us juniors are pretty close to each other on the scoreboard. Seniors have 68 points, juniors have 66 points, sophomores have 57 points, and freshman have 49 points. All that we have left to gain points is Battle of the Bands and float judging.
“The order of Battle of the Bands will be freshman, then sophomores, then juniors, and lastly seniors,” announces Mr. Borm.
“Alright guys, we have to kill it out there for Battle of the Bands, because if we don’t win this and the seniors win the Float building then there is no way we can win homecoming games,” I say.
“She’s right we really have to push ourselves if we want to win homecoming games, so let’s do this!” Josy yells.
The freshman went and it was terrible. Then the sophomores went and it wasn’t that terrible but it definitely could have been better. It was finally our turn and I couldn’t wait. As we walk out onto the court my stomach begins to have butterflies but I try to ignore them, this was our year and I wasn’t going to let anything stop us.
Our dance had gone really well, and the seniors wasn’t too bad but I think we still beat them. Although I was pretty sure we had beat them, not everyone else was.
What was taking so long? The judges had been deciding for like 10 minutes now. We were all really nervous by now and couldn’t sit still. I look up and I see Mr. Borm walking over in front of all the classes.
“I am pleased to announce that the winners of the 2017 Battle of the Bands is.....the Juniors! Seniors came in second, sophomores in third, and freshman in last,” Mr. Borm announced.
We all stood up screaming and jumping up and down. We could not believe it! Now we just have to get first or second in float building. We started to walk outside to get on our floats. I just wanted to parade to be over so we could find out who won homecoming. When the parade had came to a stop we all jumped off our floats and ran inside to find out the winner of the games. Sophomores had got second. Oh no, seniors were one point ahead of us, if we won Battle of the Bands that makes us three points ahead of them because they got second. If they then got first and we got second they would be two points ahead of us. I ran over to see what place the seniors got and I started yelling so Josy and Abby ran over and they looked at what place the seniors got too.
“They got third! Oh my gosh, we won homecoming games,” screamed Josy.

Then the whole junior class started yelling and screaming because we actually did it! They cheated and we still won! We all hugged and then we knew we had to go because we all had to go get ready for the Homecoming football game! I secretly knew we were gonna win that too.

39 comments:

  1. Nice names to the characters nice story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Cheaters always lose, that's a good lesson. I loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good story, I liked when you kept saying the freshman did terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how this is set up for next year

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was prettt good you forgot to have schlagheck's character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad the juniors won! Those pesky cheating seniors didn't deserve it! So I want to know what the theme was and if Travis did another bottle flip in the Battle of the Bands! Oh wait, this is fiction... But perhaps it is just predicting the future!? 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how everyone can relate to it. Homecoming week is fun for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved all the games and the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheaters never win! Mwahaha! But seriously good story. I really liked how all the classes were mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely requesting lemons for eating contest next year! Good story, makes me miss homecoming week

    ReplyDelete
  12. This story is very relatable. Homecoming week is always fun. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate to the story. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We can all relate good story

    ReplyDelete
  15. we can all relate. Good story

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds familiar.. a lot of us can relate too. Great Story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how we can all relate to the story and now it makes me miss homecoming week

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We can all relate to it. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. good story, I liked the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like this story because it shows how the better class should win, and that cheaters never prosper! I also liked it because it's very accurate to homecoming week and makes me miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very relatable, love the play on names.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good story. Everyone at EHS knows what homecoming week is like.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great story, I love how the Juniors win.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is proof that the games aren't rigged

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like how relatable this is. Hope it can be true for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good plot and good story.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how the seniors lost!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great story i like how the seniors got what they had coming for them when they cheated!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like the seniors didn't win because they cheated, but this is a really realistic story!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like how people can relate to this story

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like how the losers were the winners

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very realistic story that anyone can relate to

    ReplyDelete